In this episode, I speak with Sarah Seddon who’s the Chair of Destination Melbourne, an Australian destination marketing organisation within the Tourism Sector.
Sarah is the recent recipient of the inaugural Women in Travel Award for her contribution to tourism boards.
She is also the director of her own company, the Sabre Collective, which is a digital marketing agency based in Melbourne, Australia.
Sarah started her governance journey by observing and buddying up with two other extraordinary women on the Destination Melbourne board.
Through their example and mentorship, Sarah learned how to handle robust conversations and still get her feelings and opinions on the table in a really effective way.
And by joining the finance, audit and risk committee, Sarah found that - as someone without a background in finance - she was able to ask questions that even the other directors wanted to know the answers to.
After attending a single workshop on risk management, Sarah was able to leverage a five hundred dollar investment - a sizable sum for a small non-profit - to shift her own thinking and positively influence the board to be more strategic about risk.
Sarah is a lifelong learner and she inspires us all to read more, attend events and workshops and seek the counsel of mentors to learn.
Listen To The Podcast
Listen to the podcast as Jodie speaks with Sarah about her journey.
Highlights From The Episode
- Confidence to speak up and when to speak, when to fight my battles [6:25]
- Inquisitive mind and challenging things, I uncovered a few things that helped us do things differently in terms of our finances [9:25]
- We put on two fantastic directors who were outside of the industry but could adapt to our industry [14:02]
- I never say no to an opportunity to go out to a seminar or networking event [15:35]
Mentoring can be a simple as catching up for a coffee once a month #InsightfulDirector https://ctt.ec/He4My+
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Sabre Collective
- Destination Melbourne
- Women in Travel Awards
- Australian Institute of Company Directors risk course
- Click here for even more resources
Use the following shortlink for easy access to this page: