In this episode, I speak with Chip Conley who’s the founder of the Joie de Vivre chain of boutique hotels, and also the Strategic Advisor for Hospitality and Leadership at Airbnb.
Chip has a wealth of experience in good governance and credits much of his success at Joie de Vivre to establishing a board of advisors early on.
Chip is an experienced director himself and currently serves on the Burning Man board, which is something he is very passionate about and deeply connected to.
He is a compelling public speaker and his TED Talk, Measuring what makes life worthwhile, is a ‘must see’.
I first met Chip at the inaugural Airbnb Open in San Francisco in 2014, which I attended as an Airbnb host.
I found Chip to be a wonderfully warm, open and compassionate human being.
In our discussion on the podcast, Chip shares insights from his bestselling book “PEAK, exploring how great companies get their mojo from Maslow”.
One of these is about creating Transformation Pyramids to understand the motivations of a range of stakeholders, including board directors, with the ultimate aim of building an enduring and profitable culture.
We start this episode with Chip describing how, at the age of 26, he founded his first hotel.
Listen To The Podcast
Listen to the podcast as Jodie speaks with Chip about his journey.
Highlights From The Episode
- What I really wanted from a board of advisors was to give me direction but without them having a financial stake in the business [04:25]
- What I learnt was that culture is important, if you are going to grow your business [06:26]
- Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs Theory and how I applied it and created employees, customers and investors hierarchy of needs [10:25]
- Transformation Pyramid – and we need to understand that board members and investors as humans too [14:05]
- Tangible and intangibles and Airbnb - how do you measure “belong anywhere” and how to create connections and relationships [27:45]
Culture is important if you're going to grow your business #InsightfulDirector http://localhost/7wp08
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Chip's website
- Chip's bio
- Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
- The Rebel Rules, by Chip Conley
- Joie de Vivre Hotels
- TedTalk Measuring what makes life worthwhile
- Click here for even more resources
Use the following shortlink for easy access to this page: