In this episode, I speak with Kylee Bates who’s the World President of the International Association for Volunteer Effort or IAVE and who’s also the CEO of the Ardoch Youth Foundation in Melbourne, Australia.
I met Kylee in 2001 shortly after she was appointed as the Deputy CEO at Volunteering Australia.
It was the International Year of Volunteers and we worked together on a project to engage older volunteers in festivals being held throughout the year.
Kylie reminds us that most directors in the non-profit sector are often volunteers themselves, even though they might not see themselves as such.
She speaks about the role of mentors and ways in which people can get engaged in being director for the first time.
In a world where technology is used more and more for connecting people, Kylee shares ways to engage all participants on teleconferences on the “big and important things” prior to the meeting and by doing a “round robin” where each participant is asked directly for their input.
I recently conducted a governance evaluation of the IAVE board and Kylee talks about the benefits of a review in identifying the skills and strengths of the board as well as increasing the board’s knowledge about governance.
If you’re a board member who volunteers, then this is an episode you won’t want to miss.
Listen To The Podcast
Listen to the podcast as Jodie speaks with Kylee about her journey.
Highlights From The Episode
- My journey of volunteering took off and my eyes opened [05:22]
- One of the things that I have learnt is ways to engage all participants on teleconferences [17:00]
- The value of a Round Robin in hearing all views [17:53]
- Strengthening skills on the board and the value of governance evaluations [22:44]
Board evaluations can help all volunteer boards understand their governance role #InsightfulDirector https://ctt.ec/4faWf+
Resources Mentioned In This Episode
- Ardoch Youth Foundation
- International Association for Volunteer Effort (IAVE)
- Winston Churchill Memorial Trust
- Conscious Governance
- Click here for even more resources
Use the following shortlink for easy access to this page: